ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rainy Day Pictures



A cute Spring project Grade 2 students did a while back. They drew a little boy or girl standing in a rain puddle holding an umbrella. They made 'dashes' in the sky using water-based markers. We sprayed them with a water bottle and the markers dissolved slightly to give a wet, hazy effect to the sky. I was inspired by this project by Whitney Elementary School on Artsonia.

Start off by drawing your picture in pencil. Outline with a permanent black marker.
Color in the whole picture, except for the sky, with colored pencils.




Using water-based markers (we used Crayola), draw small dashes all over the sky. 
Kids can mix colors; whatever they want. Random note: after I showed kids my example, I had to reeeaaally emphasize that you never go outside during a lightning storm! hahahaha  My picture actually looks a bit dangerous- but the boys, especially, loved the lightning bolts! lol



Once the sky is done, use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the entire picture. I encouraged students to use lots of marker in the sky- it makes for a more vibrant picture in the end. We talked about why the marker 'bleeds' (they think this term is so weird!) and why the colored pencil parts stays the same. 




Voila!























4 comments:

Art on my Hands said...

Such a cute idea. With all the rain we have been receiving up here in the Northeast, I may have to put this one out for my students before we end the year. I have no doubt they can relate!

Rina k6art.com said...

Hi Miss
These are absolutely charming! I love the idea of making in rain (via spray bottles!) in the art room.

Miss said...

Thanks K Hyman and Rina!

Mrs. Skojec said...

What a cute idea! I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...