ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Kaleidoscope Abstract Art Watercolour Painting


This is a project my Grade 1's completed a couple of years ago. They had SO much fun mixing the colours. We do a unit on abstract art and this was a perfect lesson to really reinforce the concept. I found the idea HERE as well as HERE.

If I have time before a class (sometimes happens but not usually), I like to lay out supplies ahead of time. So I laid out my paper placemats (large construction paper), 9 x 12" heavy white paper and styrofoam cups. Then I squeezed out black acrylic paint onto large plastic lids. Students dipped their cup into the paint and made overlapping circle prints.



They look pretty cool on their own!


The next class, students used watercolours to paint inside of the circles. Little kids LOVE mixing colours - they tend to go ham with this and mix all the colours together, hence the large amount of 'muddy' colours you'll see! haha! You can restrict the colours if you want, or tell them to choose warm or cool, etc. I just let them go wild with this project. 
Painting these took 2- 40 minute lessons to complete.



Some Grade 1 results:















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...